Search This Blog

Sunday 7 March 2010

Surprise film weekender

Six people, six movies: that was this weekend’s surprise link film weekender.
The line-up (in order looked like this:
Being John Malkovich - picked by Rod
Grosse Pointe Blank - picked by me
The Big Sleep - picked by Denise
Sleepy Hollow - picked by Emma
I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead - picked by Duncan
Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead - picked by Jonathan

Rod’s choice of Malkovich was inspired. I haven’t seen it for a few years and had forgotten what a lovely headfuck it is. Malkovich malkovich malkovich, malkovich malkovich malkovich, malkovich malkovich – malkovich!

I cheated a little on my link; ostensibly links to the next film were supposed to be via the words in the film title, but Rod’s choice left me few options, so I extended my link to the lead actor, John Cusack, thus allowing me to go for Grosse Pointe (a film I know and love). Truly, it is a lesson in the dangers of TV…

Denise took my ‘Grosse’, translated it to ‘big’, and thus was able to enjoy The Big Sleep for the first time. We collectively marvelled at Marlowe’s way with the ladies (especially Dorothy Malone at the Acme Book Shop), and we were all shocked by Martha Vickers’ jail-bait entry to the film – pure brilliant filth. The plot still makes no sense though!

‘Sleep’ allowed Emma to show Sleepy Hollow, Tim Burton’s gothic romp (which was, lest we forget, Johnny Depp’s first proper hit movie), stacked to the rafters with great British character actors. And thus Saturday came to a close.

Duncan continued with ‘Sleepy’ to offer us a group premiere of I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, a prime slice of bleak, London gang/revenge tragedy, directed by the ace of that genre, Mike Hodges. While this kicked off Sunday morning with some undesirable elements (vomiting, male rape, suicide and murder), this was more than made up for by its strangely French, hypnotic quality and the unfamiliar but gritty locations. Great score too.

Jonathan took us to the finish with Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead: more noir-ish stylings mixed with Italian gangster flick staples, aided and abetted by top performances from Andy Garcia and Christopher Walken.

Great movies, great food (hats off to Jonathan, Denise and Emma) and great company!

And thanks to Bunny, my sister, for acting as independent arbitrator during the film choice phase.

No comments: