Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 October 2015

LFF 2015 top 10 memories no.2: Remember's finale

It’s appropriate that this very Hitchcockian thriller should premiere at the same festival as Hitchcock/Truffaut and My Nazi Legacy.

The pitch for Remember in the programme grabbed me by the short and curlies: Christopher Plummer (always great) is an elderly Jew trying to track down the Nazi guard who killed his family in Auschwitz, but his dementia means he struggles to remember the mission he’s on.

Memories cast a long shadow over each and every character: they are either searching for, reliving or running away from their memories and those of the people they care about.

I was engrossed from the start, the film almost coming across as a darker-hearted version of Alexander Payne’s Nebraska.

As Plummer’s character takes his faltering steps towards completing his mission, his encounters with possible ex-Nazis live long in this viewer’s memory, especially those featuring Bruno Ganz and Dean Norris.

When Plummer reaches his final destination, you’re prepared for anything – well, I thought I was, but apparently not: I was not ready for that ending!

This is not a tragic drama about dementia, it is a Hitchcockian thriller, nothing more, nothing less, its sole objective to manipulate the audience. In so much that it manipulated me (and it would appear just about every viewer at the Curzon Mayfair that night), it is a success.

I hope it gets a proper theatrical release so I can see it again.
Score: 8/10

No official release date is confirmed yet.

No comments: